How I'm Choosing Myself Before a Traditional 9-5
How I'm Choosing Myself Before a Traditional 9-5
I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been asked “what are you doing after graduation” or “what are your plans now?”
Typically, people expect me to say “I got my first job” or “I’m going to graduate school.”
Instead, my answer is a little different. I tell them I want to travel.
I recently graduated with a bachelor’s degree in psychology and a minor in sociology. This was a field I genuinely enjoyed studying because it gave me a deeper understanding of people, relationships, and even myself. I was always fascinated with why humans think and behave the way we do. Psychology taught me to be curious and opened my eyes to how everyone’s journey looks different.
For most of my life, I have also been an athlete.
Being an athlete shaped me in ways that go far beyond the track. It taught me discipline, resilience, teamwork, and how to push through challenges even when I wanted to quit. It taught me that growth happens outside of my comfort zone, which is a lesson that will stay with me wherever life takes me.
As graduation approached, I felt more pressure than words can describe. It seemed like everyone around me had their next steps planned out, a job, graduate school, moving, etc. I started to ask myself if I was supposed to know my exact path. However, the more I thought about it the more I realized I didn’t know my path. So, what was the point of jumping into those expected next steps?
Instead, I wanted to give myself permission to grow and explore.
I have always dreamed of traveling, but not the kind of traveling where you’re just checking places off of a bucket list. I want to experience different cultures, meet new people, and learn from places that are not where all the tourists go. I believe travel has a unique way of teaching us about ourselves and opening our eyes. I want to embrace that while I have the flexibility to do so.
This does not mean I’m “running away” from a career.
It means I’m choosing not to rush into one, I have my whole life to work.
There will always be jobs, deadlines, and responsibilities waiting for me. This chapter of my life, however, is one that I will never get back. I want to make the most of it before settling into the next phase.
So, I am starting this blog!
This is a place where I will share my travels, reflections, and experiences that shape me into who I am. Some posts will be travel focused, others will be more personal on figuring life out one day at a time.
This blog isn’t about having the perfect plan. It’s about embracing uncertainty and finding meaning in the journey.
If you are also navigating life after college, have a passion for travel, or just need some encouraging words here and there, I hope you’ll join me.

oh my gosh i think the exact same thing about traveling i yearn for it so bad
ReplyDeleteomg yess this is what life's all about!!
ReplyDeletelove it when people do what they want to do instead of what they feel like they should do
ReplyDelete